Two Rotay Clubs in Oshawa donate Gazebo to Oshawa
Oshawa Valley Botanical Gardens enhanced by the generosity of
the Rotary Club of Oshawa and the Rotary Club of Oshawa-Parkwood
- Grand Opening - July 12, 2013
Visitors to the Oshawa Valley Botanical Gardens (OVBG) can now enjoy a new shade structure thanks to donations from the Rotary Club of Oshawa and the Rotary Club of Oshawa-Parkwood. The centerpiece of the Memory Garden will be available to host special events and ceremonies and is the final component of phase three of the Memory Garden project. The shade structure is classically designed and will feature an antique bronze Rotary emblem in the center of the floor, to symbolize both Rotary Clubs’ ongoing commitments to the Oshawa community. The structure is of the highest quality materials, cast of limestone and will be a long lasting feature landmark in the garden and City.
“We are thrilled to again be part of the Memory Garden project. From the Rotary bridge on the south end of the park to the northern garden and gazebo, Rotarians are helping make Oshawa a beautiful place to live and raise a family”, said Jim Scott, President of the Rotary Club of Oshawa.
“We too are happy to be part of this great enhancement to the Oshawa Valley Botanical Gardens that brings to our citizens, a series of modern garden features that link the parklands and natural terrain of the Oshawa Creek Trail system. What a great legacy to leave the citizens of Oshawa – The Rotary Bridge and The Rotary Gazebo. Since 1920, the Rotary Club of Oshawa and since 1976 The Rotary Club of Oshawa-Parwkood have been involved in service to our community and the members of both Rotary Clubs are very proud to help out Oshawa in any way that we can”, said Alan Finnigan, President of the Rotary Club of Oshawa-Parkwood.
In addition to the Memory Garden, the OVBG is home to Canada’s largest contemporary peony collection comprising of over 300 varieties, as well as a collection of lilacs, hostas, a water feature garden and a commemorative gazebo. A footbridge travels over the Oshawa Creek providing a picturesque path and linking the many garden areas, seating areas and a playground. The footbridge, which opened in fall 2006 in celebration of Rotary International’s 100th anniversary, is another structure made possible through a contribution from the Rotary Club of Oshawa and the Rotary Club of Oshawa Parkwood.
“The donation of a Shade Structure by the Rotary Clubs of Oshawa is yet another example of Rotary’s continued support to our City and its residents”, said Councillor Bob Chapman, Chair of the Community Services Committee. “The structure will greatly enhance the Oshawa Valley Botanical Gardens, an amazing place found in the heart of our City”.
Oshawa Mayor and fellow Oshawa Rotary Club member, John Henry, donated , from the collection of long time Oshawa Rotarian Bob Hambly, the Rotary Wheel that is in the centre of the Gazebo floor , for all to see. At one time, in 1937, the cast iron Rotary Wheel, was on the Rotary Cottage, in Oshawa , on the shores of Lake Ontario.
All of the people in the photo are members of the Rotary Clubs of Oshawa and Oshawa-Parkwood, including District 7070 Governor Valarie Wafer. Rotarian Mayor John Henry is front and centre in the light brown suit.
The OVBG is a “master planned” garden that will include parks and trails and 11 planned garden districts along the Oshawa Creek from Adelaide Avenue to Gibb Street. The OVBG is located on the south side of Adelaide Avenue West, between Kaiser Crescent and Arena Street. Parking is available adjacent to Children’s Arena (Arena and Adelaide Streets).
About Rotary: Since 1920, the Rotary Club of Oshawa (www.oshawarotary.ca) and since 1976 the Rotary Club of Oshawa-Parkwood (www.rotaryoshawa-parkwood.org) have been involved in service to our community and the members of both Rotary Clubs are very proud to help Oshawa as part of an international organization of business, professional, and community leaders who provide humanitarian service and help to build goodwill and peace in the world. In 34,000 Rotary clubs worldwide, 1.2 million members known as Rotarians volunteer their expertise, time, and funds to support local and international projects.
Both Rotary Clubs worked on this community project with the City of Oshawa and we are very pleased that it is now complete. This is just one way that we help to boost our community pride and enhance the beauty of the OVBG. The Gazebo is a beautiful complement to The Rotary Centennial Bridge at the north end of the Botanical Gardens.